Gwen has enjoyed a wide variety of artistic mediums since her childhood. She is an enthusiastic watercolor, mixed media and encaustic artist living near Carstairs AB.
“I like to think of myself as a painter of inspiration. I love the challenge of capturing the wonder of God’s inspired creation. With pure JOY I grab a hold of the precious moments allowed in my life to let my passion for the creative process flow from my heart, be it in my studio or plein air. Living in the country and watch the ever changing scenery as the seasons come and go, truly inspires me. I am always growing and expanding in my artistic career as the seasons have changed in my life. Recently I’ve been exploring in creating non representational pieces, flowing in a purely intuitive level is such a challenge. I hope the viewers will experience a real sense of peace and renewed wonder for life in my paintings. Finally I give the Lord, the ultimate “creator” and giver of all our gifts, the credit.”
The Carstairs grain elevators represented a much loved local scene to Gwen. Driven by her passion for the disappearing wooden prairie giants, in the early spring of 1998, Gwen produced her first limited addition print called Prairie Pride. Now this run of only 250 prints is nearing it’s end with only 30 left. Her prints have gone all across Canada the US and even into Europe.
Her newest love is working in the ancient art form of Encaustic which is painting with hot wax!! This new medium (yet very old one) is gaining much attention as people fall in love with the warmth, the smell and the wonderful texture it naturally creates.
- GWEN DAY has been a member of Wellspring since 2008.
- She was juried into the Canadian Federation of Artist in 1994.
- Showing at the Carstairs Artist Guilds annual sale since the club began in the early 80s.
- For the past 30 years she has enjoyed a multitude of learning experiences, from well known Canadian and American instructors.
- From week long Series courses in Red Deer Alberta, to water color portrait workshop in Taos, New Mexico.
- A life long learner, she participates in at least one course annually.
- Her work can been viewed at the Gilded Gallery in Didsbury and Silver Willow Golf and Sporting Club near Carstairs.
- She has instructed both Adults and Children in art and watercolor for the past 15 years.